Monday, November 23, 2020

Our vocal, energetic Bear

This last week I had an appointment to take Jack to the clinic to get neutered.  I did one more burst of research on the topic:

I found the reasons FOR rather weak.  While I don't plan on studding Jack, I haven't noticed any aggression on his part, nor a desire for him to break out of the yard.  He can't stand not being in the same room as me.  The medical reasons for neutering didn't out the medical risks that seem to be listed for dogs that are neutered.  

So Cathi and I discussed it and we cancelled that appointment.  We are going to let Jack keep his manhood until we see any real reasons to consider otherwise.

Our little Bear has had another week at the Gridley house.  He's got sit down really well, just as good as Jack.  We are working on "Lay down".  He gets it pretty well if I bring the treat down to floor level, but I'm trying to get him to lay without having to bend all the way down to touch the ground.  That's the next step.  He's more vocal about things. He barks more than Jack ever did as a puppy. Not an annoying constant barking, but when he wants a treat after sitting for a while and you are too slow giving it to him.  Or when he hears another dog in a yard barking while we are on a walk, he will answer with a single bark which is cute.  

He also is more whiny at night than Jack ever was too.  He's having a hard time staying asleep throughout the night on a consistent basis.



Bear, enjoying a beef steak bone

I've been spending the nights on the main floor in the front room with Jack and Bear.  Some nights he whines and we take him out and he gets a drink and goes to the bathroom, only to have him struggle getting back to sleep.  Which affects my sleep too.

Bear does really good on a leash
and stays with us, whereas Jack
is high energy and wants to go!
I need to make sure he gets a decent drink later in the evening and then put the bowl up high so he doesn't get any more middle of the night drinks. I'd like him to be able to sleep through the night without having to go out, or to wake up for whatever reason.  He sleeps alot during the day, but he also gets a lot of exercise playing with Jack in the back.  


Jack and Bear do a lot of playing together and it's fun to see that.  Jack is getting way more steps in a day the past couple weeks since we got Bear. And I can tell he greatly enjoys the company.

Updated Stats:

Jack (12/6/2019)Bear (9/18/2020)
Weight45 pounds20 pounds
Neck circumference15.5 inches12 inches
Chest circumference26 inches20 inches
Body (Neck to tail base)24 inches16 inches
Age in weeks50 weeks (11.5 months)9 weeks (2.25 months)

The cat from day 1 hasn't had a single issue with Bear. She hasn't even arched her back once.  It's nice that he's coming in to our family as a puppy, because I don't think she'd be like that if he came in as an adult.  It would take her a long time to warm up to him.




No comments:

Post a Comment